Marriage will be one of the hardest things you’ll ever commit to but so worth it if you’re willing to put in the effort and energy.
Anyone who’s ever been married knows it’s amazing when it’s amazing and it’s really hard when it’s hard. I mean who actually thinks it’s natural to suddenly put someone else’s needs above your own and want to compromise on everything? I thought so…
Knowing this, my husband and I did a lot of preparing for our marriage once we were engaged. We spent time with other married couples, sought advice from long-time married older couples, and read as much as we could. But of course, there’s only so much preparing you can do!
So I thought today I would share some of my favorite books on marriage in case you’re engaged or wanting to improve your current marriage. You can never prepare or learn enough!
Are there any books out there that have helped you? I’m always looking to add to my list!
- Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs ——> if you only read one book!
- The Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
- I, Isaac, Take Thee, Rebekah by Ravi Zacharias
- The Most Important Year in a Man’s Life/Woman’s Life by Robert Wolgemuth
- The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Ormartian / The Power of a Praying Husband by Stormie Ormartian
- The Navigator’s Council Journal
- The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Things I Wish I’d Known Before We Got Married by Gary Chapman
- Boundaries in Marriage by Henry Cloud
- You and Me Forever by Francis Chan
I can confidently say that if you fight through the hard times, good ones are just around the corner, and are so worth the wait. And if you’re wanting more marriage resources, I highly recommend checking out Beating50Percent.com. A website based on growing marriages to be more than just average and who want to beat the 50% of marriages that end in divorce.